D2C Ecommerce Automation with Shopify Flow
D2C is proving to be a necessary channel for brands looking to boost their connection with their customer base. Customers are looking for great experiences, and delivering it means more man hours and innovation. The good news is that automation extensions like Shopify Plus Flow+ will help businesses concentrate on providing these experiences while automating more tedious tasks.
The Rise of D2C
Direct-to-consumer is a prominent emerging sales channel for good reason. In the age of establishing and maintaining a closer relationship with consumers, having the first-hand opportunity to enhance their experience with your brand is an opportunity that’s too good to pass up.
While well-known brands are finding a healthy balance between maintaining their relationships with distributors and capitalizing on a D2C strategy, many newer brands are opting to focus wholly on the latter while only leveraging space in retail stores if it’s advantageous.
“...it’s no longer about just avoiding bad experiences -- it’s now about delivering great experiences.”
-Berengian, Forbes, 2019
At the end of the day, depending on distributors cuts into profits and sacrifices some of the control over how the product is represented. Of course, physical retail still has value in that it gives potential customers the opportunity to experience the product in-person. Savvy brands are using this fact creatively by minimizing space strictly for presentation then accepting orders online.
A great example of this model is Tesla. They’ve began cutting down their retail space and shifting to an online-only, D2C sales approach. They will still have stores where keen prospects can visit to see the physical product, but those customers will need to complete the purchase process online.
“Research conducted by Bringg reports that 87% of manufacturers rate D2C channels as highly relevant to both products and consumers. Almost half of manufacturers (48%) are turning to D2C channels to help increase revenue share”
-Bengualid, Shopify, 2018
As this trend becomes more pervasive, the logistics will become more convoluted, meaning that companies will need to quickly adapt and allocate their resources to handle the increase in online traffic. So, why not consider another eCommerce trend that will complement the D2C model perfectly: automation.
Shopify Plus+ Flow is designed to take care of smaller tasks while still having a big impact. The concept is focussed on taking the weight of smaller repetitive tasks off the shoulders of merchants so they can pay more attention to connecting with customers.
Key Considerations in D2C Automation
The best way to highlight the benefits here is to state the advantages and relate them to the D2C model:
- Eliminate manual data entry: data entry can be extremely time-consuming, and it’s human nature to make mistakes. Both of these can prove costly especially at the scale of D2C businesses.
- Execute hyper-specific business processes: Shopify Flow allows merchants to predetermine functions on an “if this, then that” basis. There is loads of room for creativity on the triggers and outcomes that range from increasing conversions to winning back lost prospects.
- Consistently updated product information: huge catalogs can take an excessive amount of time and maintenance. Automation can help businesses by making sure product pricing as well as other info is sensitive to market fluctuations.
- Data transfer guarantee: as mentioned, we are all human. It’s virtually impossible to do everything correctly every time, and we are prone to be forgetful. Automation can ensure that the correct data is processed immediately.
- Actionable Data Insights: D2C creates the opportunity for incredibly valuable data collection, automation will allow for that data to be assessed and reacted to appropriately.
And of course… more time to focus on building the brand.
So the value of adding a D2C channel is self-evident, and the way that automation aligns with the model creates enormous potential for growing brands. Ecommerce businesses that are progressive and wish to remain competitive need to start considering how the combination can bolster the many facets of their strategy. From better customer experience to increasing top-line growth, dealing with consumers directly and using Shopify Flow creatively is sure to effect a positive impact on the business as a whole.
Take a look at our eCommerce automation article for greater insight and more information about how Shopify Flow works.
SmartOSC is a top trusted Shopify Plus+ partner in APAC and around the world. We specialize in eCommerce development and management as well as emerging trends including automation. Get in touch with us today to start a conversation on Shopify!